Making frayed flowers uses up scrap fabrics, is a fun past time, and makes everything you pin or glue them too look better!
Frayed flowers are a nice way to use up leftover fabric pieces. Once you have your flowers made you can add them to sweaters, coats, aprons, bags, pillows, draperies, and more! Well I guess the ideas are only limited by your imagination!
If you are interested in making some frayed flowers of your own, these are the materials you will need.
- Leftover fabric scraps (Each flower requires a strip about 2” by 45”.
- Rotary cutter, mat & cutting guide
- Iron and ironing board
- Sewing machine
- Dual Duty XP General Purpose thread
- Dual Duty XP Heavy thread
1. Start by cutting strips 2” wide by about 45” long using a cutting mat, rotary cutter and a cutting guide.
2. Cut off the selvage edge if you have one and iron the short end over about ¼”. Then, fold the long strip in half so it becomes 1” by approximately 45” long and iron in the fold.
3. Line your presser foot up with the fold on the strip and stitch the length of the strip using a long basting stitch. Do not tack at either end.
Put Dual Duty XP General Purpose thread in the top of your machine and Dual Duty XP Heavy in the bobbin – it makes gathering very easy!
4. Gather up the strip to about 23” by pulling on the bobbin thread and pushing the fabric in the opposite direction.
5. The gathered strip will look something like this!
6. Begin rolling the strip at one end. Once you’ve made a couple rolls, use the needle and thread to hold the rolls in place. Remember, the folded edge is the bottom and that is the best place to do the stitching, near the bottom edge.
7. Every couple of times you roll the flower, use the needle and thread to stitch through a couple layers to hold the rolls in place. Admittedly, this is a bit awkward but you’ll get the idea when you work with it.
Finish by securing the end of the roll so the flower won’t unwind. Knot the thread, cut off any excess threads that have unraveled by working with the flower and you are ready to stitch it to any garment or decorative item you wish!
Have fun with this and enjoy all your newly embellished items!