Sometimes it takes the simplest of materials to create something very nice, and this Star of David garland is a good example of that.
I think it is wonderful that the end of the year is full of celebration. With celebrations come decorations and with decorations come hand- made projects! Hand- made projects allow more than just practice with scissors and glue, they are a perfect time to sit together and talk about the reasons for the celebrations. (Or anything else that comes up!)
This simple Star of David garland is an easy one for small hands to master yet it requires the help of an adult. Both the hot glue gun and the drill should be handled by an adult. Substitute white school glue if you want your kids to do the gluing. You’ll just need to wait until the glue dries thoroughly before spray painting.
If you are interested in making a Star of David garland to hang at your fireplace or over a doorway, these are the materials you will need.
- Plain wooden popsicle sticks
- Hot glue or
White school glue
- Medium blue spray paint
- Drill and 1/16” drill bit
- 1/8” light blue ribbon
- Embroidery needle
- Beads in blue or other coordinating color
When determining how many Popsicle sticks you will need, each star measures 4 ½” wide. Beaded area is determined by size and amount of beads.
1. Hot glue three Popsicle sticks in a triangle with ends over lapping one another like the triangle on the right. Make another triangle in the same manner.
2. Place first triangle over second triangle to form a Star of David, six-sided star. With a pencil, mark the connections. Remove the top triangle and put hot glue on the marked areas. Quickly place top triangle down on the glue attaching the two triangles together.
3. In a well-ventilated area such as outdoors, spray paint both sides of the star with blue spray paint. Drill small holes in two of the points that oppose each other for the ribbon used to string them together.
4. String stars with small ribbon in embroidery needle which has an eye big enough for the ribbon but thin enough for the beads. Beads are placed between the stars.
So, there you have it, it’s as easy as that to make a really striking Star of David garland. If you have time and extra Popsicle sticks, make one for your family and friends. Everyone appreciates a gift that is hand- made and one that comes from the heart.