I mean it, these things have to go right now! You know it too, you just don’t see them anymore!
They are items around your home that you and I both have gotten so accustomed to we don’t even notice them anymore. You can discover them by simply walking into your home as if you were a stranger and take it in like you’ve never seen the inside of your home before. I pretend I’m looking at my house to buy it and I take note of what it is that I notice that I don’t especially like. Then, there are a couple just plain commom sense things too. So grab a garbage bag or recycle bin and let’s go!
1. If you have any furniture in your home that you are afraid to actually use….give it away…donate it…or better yet – USE IT!! Because really, what’s the point?
2. Throw away any pillows that you have that MATCH your sofa or chairs. Matching pillows blend in and are useless. Go find something fun and creative!
3. Gather up all your family photos and, except the dear ones of cherished family, get some new current ones in those frames to freshen up your collection. You aren’t 20 anymore!
4. Throw away your old bathroom rug and buy a real rug, like one you might put in your entry, and put it in your bathroom. I’ve done it for years and they hold up just fine!
5. Throw away old light switches and change them out for dimmers. This will make an amazing difference in the ambiance of your home in the evening.
6. Throw away any ratty old bathroom towels and replace the ones you get rid of with towels in similar tones to the ones you have. The slight variance in color is more interesting and actually easier than trying to match the old ones.
7. Throw away old stained or torn lamp shades and replace them with a colored silk shade or something embellished to really liven up your spaces.
8. Throw out old grimy cabinet pulls and add brand new ones that will change the entire appearance of your kitchen or bath.
9. Enough already with your old stereo equipment from college…get with the times, an iPod and dock are all the sound you need!
Now that’s just the beginning. Go ahead, keep looking around your home as if you were a stranger and see your belongings a little differently. There may be all sorts of things you can throw away, donate, hand down, or refurbish!