What a unique dessert made from tortillas, these cinnamon pastires are a sweet ending to any meal!
I hope you saved room for dessert! Who doesn’t? Even if there isn’t room, these cinnamon stars go down quite easily. And, I must add that they taste like doughnuts when they are fresh and warm out of the frying pan so keep that in mind. This might be a fun way to start the day instead of waiting until dessert after dinner!
The best part about this recipe is that it really is fast. No mixing all sorts of bakery ingredients to create dough, no rising of yeast products, no waiting!! That’s right, these delicious stars are made out of flour tortilla shells, and it only gets better from there!
- Package of large flour tortillas
- 3 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp. sugar
- Vegetable oil
1. Using cookie cutters in any design you like, cut out as many shapes as possible from the tortillas. (Save the leftovers, they fry up just as nicely as the shapes and can be eaten by the fry cook!)
Combine the sugar and cinnamon and start heating up the vegetable oil.
2. Test the oil by dropping a scrap piece of tortilla into the pan. It should bubble up start to brown around the edges fairly quickly. If so, then the oil is ready. Cook the stars one or two at a time, turning when the edges are brown as you see here.
The stars are complete when both sides are slightly browned. It shouldn’t take more than about 30 seconds or so to finish cooking a star.
3. Place the star on paper towels to absorb some of the oil.
4. While they are still warm, move them to another plate and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar on both sides.
Move those stars right along to more paper towels to cool.
Like I said earlier, fry up the remnants of the tortillas for you. They may not look pretty, but they taste great!
These can be eaten as they are or added to vanilla ice cream and caramel syrup. They go great with coffee or milk and are best immediately after they are cooked.
FYI, the only disadvantage to making these stars, aside from calories, is that now my whole house smells like fried food… I hate that! I’ve had the windows open for days, sprayed Febreze all over my fabrics and I’m still dealing with the aroma of fast food three days later. Rats!