Ok guys, enough with the steak, burgers and hot dogs on the grill, how about some heart healthy tuna steaks to change things up a bit?!
I’m one of those unfortunate folks that have to watch my cholesterol, I lost the genetic gamble and have to really watch what I eat and try to keep my intact of “bad” food to a minimum. Fortunately, I love all the stuff that you are suppose to eat to stay healthy. I especially love fish and one of my favorites is Tuna. I asked Shari if she had any recipes for Tuna steaks that I can cook on the grill and here is what she came up with.
- ½ cup lime juice, I purchased one of those plastic limes with juice (works great)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion, I used a Vandalia
- onion, but I’m sure any onion will work
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (great for the heart)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped jalapeno chilies, I used a canned product and it was fine
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro I think this is the key ingredient
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
4 6 – 8 ounce tuna steaks (you can wrap the steaks with bacon, but that would seem counter productive in my case, I might as well eat a big steak!
1. Combine the 1st 7 ingredients and marinate the tuna steaks turning once for 30 minutes.
2. Grill the steaks on a medium heat for 10 minutes turning once, this will give the tuna a slightly pink center, you can of course leave it on the grill for longer.
I served the tuna with a small side of brown rice and some broccoli spears and it was “AWESOME” in fact, I grilled a couple of extras to have during the week for lunch.