This is a great cool weather dish because when chicken and vegetables are cooked together in a roaster, it’s real home cooking and we all know how that warms you on a chilly day!
The nice thing about this meal, for my family, is that meat eaters, vegetarians and vegans alike can enjoy a meal from one “pot” if you will. For me, this is a dream come true. It’s a great meal for the colder months because it is hearty and full of rich flavor with the roasted vegetables. Try it; I’m sure you’ll love it!
- 4 chicken breast halves with the bone in and the skin on
- 1 ½ cups baby carrots cut in half
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 Spanish onion cut into thin wedges
- 1 stalk of celery, sliced
- ½ cup organic no-chicken, chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. fresh sage
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 ½ cups long grain and wild rice, cooked to make @ 3 cups
- 3 Tbsp. fresh parsley
1. Place chicken in a shallow roasting pan. Cook long grain and wild rice according to the package directions.
2. Combine carrots, sweet potato, onion, celery, ¼ cup broth, sage, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
3. Scoop the vegetables out of the bowl using a slotted spoon and arrange them around the chicken breasts in the roasting pan. Brush the chicken with the remaining liquid from the bowl.
4. Set oven for 375 degrees and bake chicken and vegetables for 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the vegetables are tender. You may want to stir the vegetables a couple times during roasting.
5. When the chicken and vegetables are done roasting, remove the chicken and place it on a platter. Cover it to keep it warm.
6. Add the rice, parsley, and remaining ¼ cup of broth to the pan. Stir to combine the rice and vegetables. Return to the oven and cook about 5 minutes or until the rice is heated through.
7. The combination of the chicken and vegetables makes for a satisfying meal. After the first serving, I removed the meat from the remaining chicken breasts and cubed it and added it to the leftover rice mixture. This warmed up in the microwave beautifully with the addition of a few drops of water to keep it moist.