We chose this rainbow chopped salad to go with a tropical theme party we were hosting and the fruit and nuts mixed together made it great!
My good friend Sharlee helped me out with these recipes since she lives very close to where we were shooting this episode. Since I travel from Florida, bringing food along with me to the shoot doesn’t work very well as you can imagine. This particular recipe is one she found for me to go along with our Tropical Party theme. It can be found from Bon Appétit, February 2011 and it’s by Myrna Goodman and Sarah LaCasse.
- 6 cups chopped romaine hearts
- 4 cups sliced red cabbage
- 1 large Fuji apple, halved, cored, diced
- 1 Asian pear, halved, cored, diced
- 1 mango, peeled, diced, or 2 Fuyu persimmons, peeled, seeded, diced
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, husked, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (optional)
1. Combine romaine and next 6 ingredients in very large bowl; toss to blend. Add dressing and toss to coat.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup hazelnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1.Whisk vinegar, shallot, and honey in small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil.
2. Season dressing to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Add dressing and toss to coat.
4. Divide salad among plates. Sprinkle with blue cheese, if desired, and serve.
This salad is so tasty; I wouldn’t mind using it as a nightly dinner salad to break up the monotony of the usual lettuce, tomatoes and croutons!