I didn’t say it was low in calories, I said it was the best chicken salad ever and I mean it!
I seem to be surrounded by girlfriends who really know how to cook. I know I’ve mentioned my friend Sharlee before and have shared some of her recipes with you. Well, this chicken salad is from my friend Suzanne. One afternoon she had a bunch of us gals over for a luncheon and we all fell in love with her chicken salad. I often say that food tastes better when someone else makes it and that might be part of the case here, but you’ll see from the ingredients, this is going to be tasty!!
Something you’ll notice is that the amounts of some of the ingredients aren’t exact. Why do good cooks use “abouts” and “pinches” and “somes”? I think they don’t want us to ever get the recipe as good as they make it!! However, I’ve been able to replicate it so I know you can too!
- A rotisserie chicken or any cooked chicken
- 1 ½ stalks celery
- 2+ green onions
- 1 cup pecans, (more if you like them!)
- 1/3+ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/3+ cup fresh dill
- ¾ cup real mayonnaise (more if chicken is dry)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ – 1/3 cup ranch salad dressing
- 1 – 1 ½ cup red seedless grapes
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large croissants
1. Pick the meat off the chicken and cut into bite sized pieces and put into a bowl.
2. Add to the chicken; chopped celery, chopped green onions, halved pecans, shopped fresh Italian parsley, fresh dill, mayonnaise, sour cream, ranch salad dressing, salt and pepper and mix together well.
3. Toss red seedless grapes in last and gently stir them in.
At our afternoon luncheon we cut the large croissants in half, so 6 would theoretically feed 12 people. We then sliced them to add the chicken salad to the inside. I will admit that I was a pig and had two halves so therefore a whole chicken salad croissant. Most of the other ladies were daintier than I was but I gave the cook the biggest compliment by gorging myself!! Hahaha.
Enjoy these chicken salad croissants with a nice green salad, soup or fruit salad!