Use an old cookie sheet to make a fun magnetic advent calendar so the kids can keep track of how many days are left!!
This year I went a little crazy with Advent Calendars because I think everyone enjoys counting down the days until the holiday. You might want to check out the felt Christmas tree advent calendar, but I will admit this cookie sheet design takes a lot less time! Plus, I think your kids would have a lot of fun helping you out with this one. You can pick everything up at your local craft store and grab a cookie sheet at the grocery store. One quick trip and you’re ready to go!
- Large cookie sheet
- 1 12” x 12” sheet patterned paper
- 1 12” x 12” sheet green textured paper
- 1 8 ½” x 11 ½” sheet of solid colored card stock
- Drill with ¼” bit
- White glue
- ¾” circular magnets
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue stick
- 24 mini Christmas ornaments
(I’ve seen advent calendars that go to either 24 or 25 days)
1. Drill two holes in the top edge of the cookie sheet. One is just right of center, one just left of center.
2. Trim the patterned paper to the width of the cookie sheet. Glue the piece to the bottom of the cookie sheet. It should cover approximately two-thirds of the cookie sheet.
3. Draw or use your computer to create an eight by three grid table for the calendar. The finished size of the table should be about 4 ½” x 10”. The boxes in the table should be numbered from 1 through 24.
4. Glue the calendar directly under the patterned paper on the cookie sheet.
5. Cover the seam where the two papers meet with a length of ribbon.
6. Draw a tree pattern measuring 12” tall and 8” at its widest point. Once satisfied with the shape, transfer the pattern to the green textured paper and cut out.
7. Glue the tree shape to the cookie sheet. Add a yellow star shape on top.
8. Glue each mini ornament (available at local craft stores) to a ¾” round magnet with your hot glue gun.
9. Cut a 10” length of ribbon. Thread it through the two holes at the top of the cookie sheet. Make a small bow, allowing a loop of ribbon to remain in the back of cookie sheet to act as a hanger.
To finish off your cookie sheet advent calendar, place each magnetized ornament on a numbered square. Then, beginning on December 1, every day take one ornament from the square and place it on the tree. On this calendar, when the last ornament is placed on the tree, Santa is on his way!!