That’s right! Use up those brown lunch bags and make yourself a great album for your holiday memories. As much fun to make as it is to look through!
We all know scrap booking has been a popular hobby. Supplies are available almost everywhere and the array is amazing. There are papers, stickers, embellishments, die cuts…the list goes on and on. IN fact, now you can even do all of this online to create an online scrapbook. However, I’ve always enjoyed the tactile experience of creating something with my hand, not with a computer, so this album is right up my alley!
Matt and I have discovered many projects which make use of scrap booking materials. We’ve created cards, books, photo albums and more.
Our favorite scrap booking projects, however, are the ones that use everyday items in unusual ways. If you’re anything like Matt, you probably think that the only good use of a brown paper lunch bag is to carry a ham and cheese on rye.
Well, you’re in for a surprise. How about using a brown paper bag to make a photo album? This darling little album holds photos and mementos. It even has spaces for journaling your memories of the holiday season. What could be better for a holiday album?
It’s also perfect for that last minute gift because you probably have all the materials you need on hand. Although a trip to your local scrap booking store may be fun, if you find yourself short of time you should be able to find everything you need in your stash of holiday gift wrap, cards, and ribbons. Extra embellishments may also be found with your sewing scraps and button box.
If you think you’d like to create this fun project for yourself or someone special, gather these items together:
- Five lunch sized brown paper bags
- Assorted ribbons (solids and patterned)
- Patterned paper / gift wrap
- Embellishments / buttons
- Christmas cards
- White glue
- Paper punch
1. To begin this project, stack the five brown paper bags, alternating the open and closed ends. Next, fold the bags in half by bringing the bottom of the bag to the open end. Crease the folds well.
2. To punch holes for binding, first make a template. Once you are satisfied with the placement of the holes, mark each bag and punch the holes one bag at a time while the bag is folded.
3. Bind the book using various colors and patterns of ribbon.
4. Decorate the inside pages of the album with pieces of gift-wrap and cardstock papers. For additional decoration, you might also cut up old greeting cards. Designs can also be made from scraps of felt. Or, how about stickers, buttons, fibers and other embellishments, making sure to leave room for the photos.
5. Use tags to provide an area to record your memories of the holidays. Punch a whole in one end of the tag and tie off with colorful lengths of ribbon. Place the tags in pockets you create or the open ends of the bags to provide for journaling space.
6. Create a really inviting cover! Everyone knows you can’t judge a book by its cover, but when you’ve taken the time and had the patience to create a cover that looks like this….I’m going to judge that this book is very, very special!
I’m sure you’ll find this album will go together very quickly. When filled with photos, mementos, and written stories of the holiday it will be even more meaningful. It’s one of those gifts that keeps on giving because every time you look at it you will give yourself the gift of holiday memories, and that is the most precious gift of all.