If you are looking for a wreath or basket of some sort to place on your front door this summer, one that will last the whole summer long, I believe this might be the one.
The colors are wonderful for summer and as you can see, the blue starred pinwheels can make the arrangement patriotic or not. Simply stick them in around holiday time and remove them during the regular weeks of summer. I’m sure small flags would look great in here to if you want to change things up!
- Hanging door basket
- Floral foam for inside
- Hot glue gun
- Greening pins
- Sprigs of greenery
- Large flowers of your choice
- Small flowers of your choice
- Holiday items like pinwheels or flags
- Wire cutters
1. Cut your floral foam to fit inside the basket. I used a half round, but I’m almost thinking now that brick shapes would have been better. They may have touched the sides of the basket better for hot gluing them in.
2. Do your best to hot glue the foam into the basket. I used some of the pieces I cut off to help wedge the half circle in. In the end it worked out OK, but next time I’d start with blocks of foam.
3. Once the foam is in place add the moss to cover it, using the greening pins.
4. The first piece I insert is the background greenery and to get the large stem in, I use my old scissors or an old pen to make a hole first.
5. Use some hot glue in the hole you made and insert the stem. Spend a bit of time dressing the greens before adding the next flowers.
6. The large flowers come next. I have five because an odd number looks more interesting than an even number.
7. I had to cut the long stems so they would fit in the amount of foam I had in the basket. Use your wire cutters and they snip off like cutting through butter!
8. Next add the smaller flowers. Notice the extra rose leaves in the photos. I’m saving them to see if they will need to be added at the end to fill up the arrangement. If not, I’ll bag them and save them for another project.
9. The smaller flowers I chose had long stems so I cut the stems in half and doubled the amount of small flowers I could add!
10. Again, arrange the smaller stems evenly and you may even want to bend them slightly near the rim of the basket to make it look more realistic.
The last step is simple; decide when you want to add the patriotic holiday décor! Otherwise, simply hang the door basket on your front door, sit back, and enjoy the compliments!