Surprise your neighbors with a treat hung on their front door on the first of May and enjoy the act of giving.
As I contemplated the idea of May Baskets, I started thinking that maybe a “basket” per se was a bit overdoing it. After all, this is just a little “hello” to your neighbors with a few tasty or pretty treats included. So, the idea of a simple cone came to mind. I ran around the house looking through my scraps of wrapping paper and ribbon and created a variety of beautiful cones that will hold a few surprises and hang nicely on a front door knob. Here’s how to make them.
- Wrapping paper of your choice
- Sheets of 8 1/2” x 11” construction paper
- Ribbon to match wrapping paper (I used fabric ribbon)
- Colored Paper to make Tags
1. Mark a sheet of 8 ½” x 11” construction paper, 2 3/8” in from the top right edge and 1 ½” in from the bottom right edge. Draw a diagonal line from the bottom right corner to the mark at 2 3/8” and cut this triangular strip off the sheet of paper. Cut out a piece of wrapping paper to match this shape.
2. Grab the top left corner of the construction paper and roll it to match up to the 1 ½” mark at the bottom right corner of the paper and lightly tape in place. Roll the point of the cone tight and tape down.
Adjust the tape at the opening so paper lies flat. Tape this cone securely in place.
3. Repeat step three with the wrapping paper. Then insert the construction paper cone into the wrapping paper cone for support.
4. Put some pressure on the cone and place the point in the middle. This will help you find the “sides” of the cone. Staple ribbon to the sides of the cone so it will hang on a door knob.
5. Line the cone with pretty tissue paper and fill it up with frosted sugar cookies, candies and little treats for your neighbors.
A lacy doily is a nice way to line the cone and makes for a sweet gift as well.
Or simply fashion and attach a colorful tag out of construction paper to announce its “Happy May Day!” from your neighbor!
P.S. – Check out the sugar cookie recipe in the food section to stuff your cones with a yummy homemade treat!