Pudding mixed with fruit, how can you go wrong? And, with the underlying coconut flavor, this recipe is perfect for a summer time or tropical themed party.
Unfortunately, I don’t really enjoy coconut, so this recipe will not make it into my file of favorites, but coconut lovers, this might be just the dessert for you!
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat (1%) milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup diced peeled pineapple
- 1/2 cup sliced peeled banana
- 1/2 cup diced peeled seeded papaya
- Ground cinnamon
1. Bring milk to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Add coconut; remove from heat. Cover and let steep 20 minutes. Transfer to blender; purée until smooth.
2. Whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt in small bowl to blend. Add to same saucepan. Gradually whisk in coconut mixture then egg. Stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Mix in vanilla. Cool completely. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)
3. Combine pineapple, banana and papaya in bowl.
Divide half of fruit mixture among 4 wine glasses. (We used plastic cups because of the whole “party in the garage” thing!) Top with pudding then remaining fruit. Chill until cold, about 2 hours. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
And, all you coconut lovers – rejoice!