Reflections from a Recipe Collector
I don’t know about you, but I’m always looking for easy chicken recipes for a quick week night meal. This week I tried Oven Fried Chicken Breast from the Food Network. When I looked up the recipe, I saw that they used a recipe from Gourmet Magazine, so at least two sources think it’s great! Let’s see if we can make it three!
Oven Fried Chicken Breast
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
SHOW: Cooking Live
EPISODE: Fowl Play: Chicken Breast Dinners
Total Time: 42 min Prep:12 min Cook:30 min
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 loaf country-style bread
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Tear bread into pieces and in a food processor pulse until finely ground.
3. In a large bowl stir together 2 cups bread crumbs, Parmesan, sage, and add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Melt butter, add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Pat chicken dry and brush all over with mustard.
6. Roll chicken in bread-crumb mixture, pressing gently to adhere, and arrange chicken, without crowding, on baking sheet.
7. Drizzle with butter.
8. Bake chicken in middle of oven until cooked through and golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
Oh my goodness, this recipe was so easy, it definitely qualifies for a quick mid-week meal. As for the ingredients, I used about 1/4 loaf of bread for the breadcrumbs and had plenty. You may want to just put remainder of the loaf in the food processor and freeze it in 1 cup quantities to use in other recipes. I didn’t add the salt & pepper twice during the preparation process, but that would be up to your personal taste.
We whipped up a quick salad while the chicken was baking and it was a light and fresh meal. Best of all, the leftovers will make for a great lunch salad with the chicken cut up on top. Add your favorite salad dressing and enjoy!