The Vegan Cook’s Bibleby Pat Crocker is a cookbook I purchased for the amazing amount of health information it has. There are over 120 pages of intense information about how a vegan lifestyle can affect your health along with how certain foods benefit different body systems. There are 60 pages following that list all the whole foods and how to select them for freshness, how to store them and how to use them in recipes. We all know by now that a diet of whole foods, not processed foods, gives you the best overall health and vitality. If you are interested in learning more, this is the book for you!
As for photos, this book is limited. There are fewer than 20 photos of finished recipes, so you are pretty much on your own for presentation. However, I’m happy to give up the photography to have the valuable information that this book imparts.
This book has a great glossary of terms, a list of sources for vegan products, along with vegan herb, and organic organizations. You can find places to mail-order herbs and get more information from related consumer websites. Pat Crocker has other books on vegetarian cooking, Juicing and Smoothies as well.
I felt I should add a dessert to my list of vegetarian cookbooks and to have a vegan baked dessert – even more unusual. Remember, vegan means no animal products at all. Read through this and you may pick up a few interesting and healthy tips!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- 8-inch square (2L) baking pan, lightly oiled and lined with parchment paper
Makes 16 squares. The batter is fairly stiff yet the bars are soft and chewy when baked. Use a high-quality vegan dark baking chocolate – that’s what gives this treat its soft, rich and dark interior.
- 1/3 cup rice milk or soy milk (75mL)
- 3 tbsp. ground flax seeds (45mL)
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice (15mL)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (125mL)
- 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour (125 mL)
- 1 tsp. baking powder (5mL)
- 1 tsp. baking soda (5mL)
- 5 tbsp. vegan margarine (75mL)
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar (175mL)
- 3 tbsp. applesauce (45mL)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (5mL)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped semisweet vegan chocolate (125mL)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans, optional (125mL)
1. In a small bowl, whisk together rice milk and flaxseeds. Whisk in lemon juice and let stand for 10 minutes or until gelatinous.
2. In a bowl, combine whole wheat and all-purpose flours, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk to mix well and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, cream together margarine and brown sugar. Add applesauce and vanilla and beat well. Add flaxseed mixture and beat well. Stir in half of the dry ingredients and beat well. Stir in chocolate pieces and pecans , if using.
4. Scrape into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan and cut into 2-inch (5cm) squares.
Visit this link if you are interested in purchasing The Vegan Cook’s Bible by Pat Crocker.