How about creating a beautiful ribbon pillow by weaving together beautiful holiday ribbons? It makes for lovely décor or even a special gift.
Anyone who knows me well knows that pillows are one of my favorite accessories, any time of the year. I think holiday pillows are particularly festive – especially when they are hand-made from beautiful holiday ribbons! This woven ribbon pillow is not very difficult to make. In fact, you have plenty of time to make two or three before the holidays.
- 12″ pillow form
- 1/2 yard of fabric (we used red cotton velveteen)
- Pieces of ribbon, all cut 12″ long and varying from 5/8″ to 2″ wide
- Fabric marking pencil
- Cut one square piece of fabric (for front of ribbon pillow), 12 1/2″ x 12 1/2″.
- Cut two pieces of fabric with dimensions of 12″ x 8 1/2″ for the back.
- With a fabric marker or pencil, draw a line 5/8” in from each edge. Lay the fabric right side up on a flat work surface.
- Cut your ribbons into 12” pieces. Pin the first strip of ribbon with half of the width of the ribbon on each side of the pencil line on the left side of your square. This is your warp ribbon. Place your pins at the top of the ribbon strip and the bottom leaving the ribbon free in the middle.
- Continue to pin strips of ribbon vertically across your fabric square, butting the edges, until the entire square is covered. You may decide to use the same ribbon for all of the warp pieces, although mixing colors, patterns, and textures creates an interesting look.
- Next, begin to weave the weft ribbons. Start in the upper left hand corner and weave the weft ribbon over and under the warp, across to the upper right hand corner. Pin each ribbon around the outside edge of the fabric and along the width and length of ribbon as necessary to hold in place.
- Continue until your fabric square is covered with woven ribbons. Baste around the outside edge of the fabric to secure the ribbons.
- Sew a 1/2″ hem on each of the two pieces of back fabric along one of the 12” long sides.
- Overlap the two hemmed pieces so that all four sides are 12″ long. Pin overlap in place.
- Place the back side of the ribbon pillow over the woven front side, right sides together. Pin and sew 1/2″ seam around the entire perimeter.
- Turn sewn fabric and insert pillow form. You may have to smooth out some of the ribbons as they may become displaced during the pillow form insertion.
This ribbon pillow is truly a Christmas delight. The traditional colors are rich and vibrant. The ribbons’ beautiful patterns and textures seem even lovelier when they are woven together, and the combination of silky ribbons and soft, plush velvet is the very definition of luxury. This pillow will make a wonderful addition to your holiday treasures and is sure to become a family heirloom.
Speak Your Mind